Friday, July 10, 2015

Drawing the Circle Wider

This imagery comes from an article I read recently and, in rejoicing at the Supreme Court's ruling on marriage equality, it seems most appropriate. There was a time, many years ago, when I thought it funny to imitate the speech of what Arnold Schwarzenegger called "girly men". I remember an Episcopal priest, personally welcoming to gay men, whose explanation for their sexual orientation was that something was "missing" in their personality. I have long been a supporter of LGBT causes. I sometimes do online surveys, and am amazed when one question frequently asked is whether I, personally, know any gay or lesbian person Years ago we used to say "some of my best friends are Jewish", in an attempt to brag about how open-minded and tolerant we were. I can certainly say that,concept truly (but not boastfully) about my many of my friends whose sexual orientation is not mine. I should mention that my complete acceptance of equality has been encouraged by my membership in the Episcopal Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment