Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Fortified Wines

Before discussing Sherry and Port, I should briefly mention Malvasia, a grape variety sometimes fortified, and Madeira, both of which I have enjoyed from time to time. Malvasia has also been known as "Malmsey", most famously because of the murder of the Duke of Clarence during England's Wars of the Roses. The unfortunate nobleman was apparently drowned "in a butt of Malmsey wine". The most prized dry sherry is "Fino". I also drink Amontillado. I prefer these as aperitif sipping wines. The after-dinner versions, such as oloroso, have never appealed to me. I prefer port, although I seldom drink it nowadays. The name "sherry" in English is derived from Jerez de la Frontera in Andalucia,,Spain "Ruby" port is so called because of its color. When aged, the color gradually changes, and it becomes a "tawny" port. "Vintage" port is always aged, its pr Fortified Winesice typically rising with its age. The name comes from the city of Oporto, in Portugal's Douro Valley. Brandy is made in many parts of the world. The world-famous Cognac comes from France, of course, as does its lesser-known cousin, Armagnac, my personal choice on the rare occasions when I drink such spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment