Monday, June 22, 2015

Encounter: More about the Norwegian Royal Family

I met Princess Astrid again when we were both students at Oxford, and I reminded her of our previous meeting on the HMS Norfolk on her return to Olso. The next occasion was when Barbara and I were in Washington DC for the opening of the national gallery. Crown Princess Sonja arrived without any hoopla, while I waited, expecting a formal announcement of her arrival. Barbara noticed that everyone else was going into the exhibit, and I eventually followed to find Barbara engaged in conversation with the Princess. The lesson for me was that Norwegian Royalty are not like the British, for whom protocol is so important. The most recent occasion was in Colorado, at a gathering which featured the present King's niece, a published author. I remember she was quite charming and informal: this time I recognized the Norwegian simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment