Monday, January 12, 2015

Omnivore

Like everybody I know, I have my favorite foods, but I'm not fussy about what I eat. Perhaps living through the rationing years of WWII in the U.K. is one factor, but being frugal by nature is probably also relevant. In any case, I can truly say that I eat what is put in front of me. This is certainly helpful to Barbara, who also believes in the saying "Waste not, want not". Another saying is "Happy wife, happy life." Despite my mother's comment to Barbara--"My dear, I don't know how you can stand him"--Barbara & I have been together for over 45 years. I never complain about "leftovers". Admittedly, I may gripe if the same soup appears as the main course for three consecutive dinners. There are, however, days when other folk supply our food. In particular, we have a wonderful neighbor who loves to cook. She was widowed a few years ago, so we are often the beneficiaries of her cuisine. If the dish she brings over contains red meat, I am the one to eat it all. Recently, a family member passed on to us most of a deep-dish pizza, featuring anchovies. Luckily, we had a houseguest who is helping us consume this, so i have only one more evening to finish it. However, I learned last night that the generous neighbor has already brought over a chicken dish, so it will be several days before I can expect to enjoy the fresh fish for which I am hoping...

No comments:

Post a Comment