Monday, February 11, 2013

His and Hers

My quip about Berkeley politics is stale now, but still accurate. In what some snide commentators still refer to as "The People's Republic of Berkeley", we have two political groups--the Left, and the Far Left. Barbara & I are both Democrats, but our views are not identical. Generally speaking, she is a Liberal Democrat and I am a Moderate Democrat. Needing from time to time a way to indicate which is Barbara's and which is mine, I always put my share on the right, and hers on the left. An example is her avoidance of butter--she uses a spread called Earth Balance. So when putting toast in the warming oven, my plate goes on the right, and hers on the left. One recent morning, enjoying my toast and Marmite, I was informed by Barbara that I was eating her toast. Now, I have no objection to eating Earth Balance, although I normally use real butter. "But I took it from the right side", I protested. "I'm right-brained, and you're left brained", she replied. Aargh! What can a stable, rational person do to stay out of such situations, while married to a creative, artistic person, who likes to tell people she is "consistently inconsistent"? At least I can truthfully say that the last 43 years have never been boring...

No comments:

Post a Comment