Monday, May 7, 2012

The Merry Month of May

May is my favorite month. In Paris, April may be the ideal month, but in Northern California, as well as in my native south of England, it is May that normally marks the end of cold weather and heavy rain. (April showers bring May flowers.) It is the month for green shoots to appear, and for Vidalia onions and locally-grown asparagus to come on sale. Barbara & I celebrate our 1970 wedding each May 2. Golf, tennis, baseball, horse-racing are in full swing, and (in England) County cricket season opens. May Day itself is International Workers' Day, and there's a tradition at Oxford of taking out a punt to witness singing at Magdalen Bridge. Sixty years ago, I learned a little ditty. I'll clean it up a bit, but here goes: Hooray! Hooray! The First of May! Outdoor bonking begins today!

No comments:

Post a Comment