Monday, July 19, 2010

Take your time!

As many of you know, I don't move very quickly these days, and am slow getting in and out of vehicles. Kind people often tell me "Take your time". Frankly, I hate it. What do these people think that I am doing? My instinct is to respond angrily and sarcastically.

Of course, I don't do that. I am completely aware that, like a healthy majority of the people I meet, these are kind, supportive folk, wanting to let me know that they care about me.

So I bite my tongue, grit my teeth, and endeavor to respond with some affirming phrase, such as "I hate to keep you waiting" or "Thanks for your patience with me".

I would like to come up with a friendly, pleasant, affirming method of asking these wonderful people to "cease and desist" from telling me to "take my time". (Of course, if they read this blog, they'll know better next time!)

Any suggestions readers have to suppress those well-meaning, kindly words would be gratefully received.

2 comments:

  1. All I can think of are unprintable comments. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Please--your patience pains me . . . .

    Alliteration overload:

    "Please--your patent patience pains me . . . .

    "I'm afraid your patience simply underscores my taking up your time."

    ReplyDelete