Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Meatless Days

Thanks to the alert reader who told me that last week we posted a repeat item. I have sentenced my "support staff" to six lashes with a wet noodle. Once the error was discovered, we posted a replacement item, so this week you have two offerings. You will need to scroll down to read the corrected item for last week.

One of my favorite paintings is called Friday. I trust that it is still to be found in the Walker Art Gallery - the one in Liverpool, England, not the gallery of the same name in Minneapolis. The painting shows a group of well-nourished monks, looking happily on a table of mouth-watering food, including several varieties of fish. Yes, it is a sarcastic reference to the former Roman Catholic rule of meatless Fridays, but it is very funny.

I confess that I am not a fan of abstract painting, although over the years I have learned to recognize such art for it's skill and beauty.

Like almost everyone I know, I am a fan of impressionists painting. Although I admire The Potato Eaters  I don't find it necessary for every representational painting to include human or animal figures. Never the less, I really enjoy the "every picture tells a story" approach.

Things are really turned upside-down in our house. Barbara will eat chicken and fish, but most of our evening meals are meatless. As long as this includes one of the Cheeseboard's wonderful vegetarian pizzas, and from time to time a pasta dish, either with pesto or a tasty sauce, I am cool with this restricted diet.

Ah, but when Barbara is away, meat is on the menu! Last night, she attended a pot luck with her Book Group, and I was able to prepare braised lamb shank. I had no handy stock, but I rolled the solitary shank in flour, seasoned it with salt, pepper (and a touch of MSG - shh!), together with some white wine. I baked a large potato - half of which I reserved to fry up this morning for my usual job of preparing breakfast for us. Aah, but the other half I mashed with a fork and used it to pick up the remaining olive oil and assorted juices, to serve with the beets and greens that accompanied the lamb shank. A couple of glasses of Cabernet Sauvignon, and I ate like a king. I should confess that I also had a couple of teaspoonfuls of Straus raspberry ice cream, a couple of crackers with cave-aged Gruyere, and a piece of Lindt "intense orange" dark chocolate.

I recently read that the average American adult gains several pounds - Seven, I believe- of weight between Thanksgiving and the end of the year.

So, tonight it's back to salad, and whatever item of cuisine minceur.

1 comment:

  1. She's keeping your blood free of cholesterol so you can occasionally indulge and not seize up!! I live with the "fat police" here.

    ReplyDelete